Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Harefooted Halloween: My Soul to Take

What I Liked: The fast paced story keeps things moving even though I had no idea what was going on.

And I kinda liked that I didn’t totally get it.

Oh, and the opening setup is really fun nonstop craziness that involves stabbing, shooting, car crashing, etc.

What I Didn’t Like: There’s your typical cast of characters in a slasher movie.  You have the main nerdy kid, his outcast best friend, the popular girl that the main kid has a crush on, the jock douchbag and so on. 

How the events unfold is also archetypal with the teens being taken out one by one and you have to guess who the killer is.

Overall Impression: What a totally conventional yet totally strange slasher picture.  It’s very confusing what exactly is going on and what direction shit is heading.  Every once in a while you’ll get something familiar that you can grab on to like when the killer calls up the asshole jock and taunts him on the phone before dispatching him.  But then it’ll go right back to a schizophrenic kid or move immediately into another death scene or there’ll be some exposition given that seems kinda late in the story to be dishing out.

There’s also a bunch of shit that gets setup but then there’s no development or payoff.  For instance, the lead teen has a crush on some girl and we can discern that she obviously likes him back but it goes absolutely nowhere.  They don’t ever hook up or reveal their hotness for one another.  Just weird for a movie like this.

I fully appreciated some of the out-of-left-field bits in here.  Even though I couldn’t get a strong footing I couldn’t stop watching and was fascinated by the muddled and erratic mess.  It feels like this picture was made by a first timer or someone who may be slightly insane for real.  Wes Craven has made some zany movies before but this is different.  You could understand those.  This one is a rambling blob of ideas.

Look, this isn’t a good film really but I completely enjoyed how odd it was at times.  It feels like it should’ve been at least a half hour longer to flesh shit out and explain crap.  But at the same time I’m kinda glad it isn’t because we got one helluva oddball slasher movie. 

See it?  I don’t know if I can recommend this in good conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment