Friday, April 12, 2013

So Bad It's Good

In my opinion, the very definition
of SBIG

I’ve been struggling with the phrase “so bad it’s good” (SBIG) for a bunch of years now.  There was too much judgment in it and just a hint of snobbery that made me not want to say those words.  But I’ve come around on it now and have finally relented to its usefulness.

The big question that I’ve been trying to nail down is, if it’s SBIG why isn’t it just plain good?  Why the pretext?  I still haven’t found a great answer so the best I can come up with is that the “so bad” part helps to account for different people’s tastes.  For instance I would classify Batman Forever as good and Batman & Robin as SBIG.  Some other folks out there might put both in the SBIG category.  The point is the phrase implies that some sort of joy is being had regardless of how you look at the film.  So tastes may vary but SBIG kinda levels things out.

One major worry I had about this expression was that it could potentially be used on far too many movies.  But after taking a step back it looks like we (including myself) don’t hand this label out lightly.  I think almost every film falls into either “good” or “bad” for most of us.  Of course, those categories then subdivide into “good/bad except for…”.  Even if you add in a “just ok” group SBIG is still in a league of its own.

To go a little further on this topic I firmly believe there are films that transcend SBIG and come back around to being good again.  There aren’t a whole lot out there but pictures like Troll 2 and Gone With the Pope are so bizarre and/or poorly executed that they’re perfectly enjoyable and offer a gratifying experience.  SBIG movies have cringe worthy moments and at least one terrible aspect that you can’t let go of.  But these other transcending ones are just as fascinating and easy to watch as anything you consider to be good.

Not SBIG, just good period
So I guess it’s necessary to make the distinction when you’re talking to people about movies.  It’s misleading to recommend a film that you know is very fun but also pretty shitty.  SBIG cuts right to the chase and makes quick work of an otherwise somewhat lengthy explanation of what you saw and how you feel. 

To wrap this up I’d like to use another expression: there’s no accounting for taste.  This is the reason why SBIG exists.  We all like vastly different shit and that’s great.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.  This is also the reason why SBIG is probably the most debatable grouping.  One inch either way and you’re in another class.  SBIG really is necessary to define those that fall in this weird space that make you feel oddly satisfied somehow.          

No comments:

Post a Comment