Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Harefooted Halloween: The Wicker Man (2006)

Image result for the wicker man 2006What I Liked: Almost nothing.

What I Didn’t Like: Almost everything.

Overall Impression: Even though I saw this when it came out I remembered very little about it.  So now after seeing the 1973 Wicker Man my first thought was this is going to be impossible to remake.  How the hell are you gonna capture the completely strange feel and unique vision of the quasi-horror original? You might as well try to remake Lost Highway or Monty Python and the Holy Grail

And, of course, this is a total failure.  Every change made was for the worse.  There’s really no point in listing why nothing works because it would be incredibly tedious. 

Image result for the wicker man 2006I know there are a good number of folks out there that think this is a so-bad-it’s-good movie but I didn’t find it to be that way.  There are a couple of moments that do stand out as being laughably terrible but there aren’t nearly enough of them to come all the way around and make the film enjoyable.        

So if you haven’t seen the original Wicker Man you should try to catch it.  It’s definitely weird but it’s also thoughtful.  As for this thing, it’s as soulless a remake as you can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment