Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Evil


“I can hear your heart beating.  I don’t like that”

Sonuvabitch.  Sorry guys, I meant to have this done for New Year’s Eve but I just totally forgot.  Well, there’s not much to say about this one anyway.  A killer goes for a victim every time the new year is rung in across the time zones in the U.S.  I kinda like this idea but the thing is only two murders actually follow this gimmick while the rest happen at nonspecific times.  I would’ve liked to have seen a little more discipline with the script but what are you gonna do, right?

Also, the killer isn’t threatening looking or sounding (especially when he does that jaw harp voice on the phone) and his weapon of choice is a switchblade which seems kinda puny and not very scary at all.  Although he does kill one woman using a sack of weed which is a new twist on the ol’ plastic-bag-over-the-head gag.  And the way he tries to murder his final victim (hanging them from the bottom of an elevator with the intent of crushing them) is something I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen before.  But other than those it’s standard fare.

I guess like the usual New Year’s celebrations they show on TV the filmmakers threw in a bunch of live music in between the killings to make it seem more like you’re watching an event.  You know, like you’re enjoying a New Year’s festivity except it keeps getting interrupted with murders.  It’s another idea that isn’t that bad, well, if you’re into new wave 80’s music that is.

Overall this one’s pretty dull.  It’s very formulaic with the first half getting off to a really slow start.  The second half finally picks up some speed and shit starts happening but that’s typical of most slasher flicks.  I’d say skip it unless you really want to relive New Year’s again.

Now that that’s out of the way, Happy New Year everyone!  Here’s to more good, bad and ugly movies in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment