Saturday, October 5, 2024

Harefooted Halloween: I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer

What I Liked: So this is your standard re-boot-quel that acknowledges the events of the previous films while also having the same plot as the first I Know.  On the surface not very exciting.  However, there’s one really huge difference that sets it apart and I won’t spoil it.  This decision does kinda fundamentally change the series and I’ll give the filmmakers credit for taking a big swing here.  All the weird inexplicable shit that’s sprinkled throughout the movie suddenly makes sense when we get to the reveal.  Now this isn’t some genius piece of work that’s devilishly clever or anything but at least an attempt to mix things up for picture number three is commendable.

What I Didn’t Like: They continue the tradition of setting each installment in a different location and this time it’s Colorado.  While I’m sure the reason for this is because it was the cheapest place they could find to shoot and hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, it does pose a problem.  You see our villain of the series is a killer fisherman so having him show up in a landlocked area makes him look pretty out of place.  He’s surrounded by mountains, fields and farms.  The only water we get in the entire thing is when someone swims in a pool, no joke.

I don’t wanna rag on this too much because it’s a low budget direct to video situation but the cinematography, editing and acting aren’t the best.  If it were shot better I think that alone would’ve helped to improve everyone’s performances.  For the editing they use that crazy coked out style of the mid 2000’s similar to the Saws with quick cuts, sped up footage, white flashes, blurriness and all that junk.  It doesn’t hold up.

Overall Impressions: Admittedly I was expecting this to be much worse than it is.  Surprisingly it’s not all that far off from a real movie.  Like a major studio could shoot the same script and it would probably be fine.  With that said it’s not terribly interesting except for maybe the twist ending.

There’s an argument to be made that this film is better than I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.  For one thing the title makes more sense (more than you realize too).  I mean you could argue it makes more sense than the original as well but I can’t imagine anyone doing that.  In the end this guy is more of a curiosity than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment